Saturday, March 15, 2014

Suicidal Thoughts

Suicidal Thoughts


Psalm 46:1-3... God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, even though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; though its waters roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with its swelling.

Contemplating and attempting suicide is 80% due to depression and highly correlated with feelings of hopelessness. It are insurmountable obstacles which brings a person to this "edge". There are many underlying issues such as chronic loneliness, guilt, self-punishment, shame, fear, a way of escape, reunion with loved ones, impulsive reaction etc.

It is most unlikely that a person contemplates suicide just because one wants immediate peace (by going to be with God). If this seems the case there MUST be another underlying issue, which may not be recognized by the person in question. Suicide is an act of desperation and not of tranquility.


1 Corinthians 6:19-20...Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God. For you were bought at a price, therefore glorify God in your body and in spirit, which are God's.

One cannot deliberately abuse or destroy his/her body without serious consequences. A Christian loves to be united with the Lord, but that never should be at the cost of killing oneself. Something is definitely wrong with one's relationship with the Lord, if suicidal thoughts are persistent. Harbouring wrong and sinful thoughts will eventually produce sin.

2 Corinthians 10:3-5....For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.

The thoughts of committing suicide must be brought under subjection, because it is satan who is out to rob, kill and destroy...Not God.
See John 10:10. The Lord does not give such thoughts in Christians' minds.

Colossians 3:2....Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.

Philippians 4:8....Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthty - meditate on THESE things.

Romans 8:7... Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18....Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Satan is out to rob, steal and murder. He is whispering his lies in your ear that you can't make it, there's no better tomorrow, you'll never be happy again, things are out of control, you better end it all etc. Listen to me, satan is a dirty liar from the beginning. Cut off any of these thoughts with a counter action from the Scripture.

Believers in Jesus Christ are called to be
VICTORIOUS and The Lord has provided all the tools for it. Suicide defeats God's purpose in your life. You may think it is an escape, but beside the sin of killing, it is also DEFEAT. Think about it !

Go back to the Old Testament and read how Daniel, Joseph, Abraham, Moses, Joshua, Rahab, Esther and many others handled their NEARLY unbearable circumstances. Their trust was in God, NOT in suicide. They knew that God was able, and that the Lord would not disappoint them in their faith.

Here is what Jesus has to say:
"Come unto Me all you who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest." He is trustworthy, He is the SAME, yesterday, today and forever. His words are like balm for your wounds. What He did then, He will also do now!
HAVE FAITH IN GOD!
Don't lean on your own understanding, but rather on Him.

Paul says to the Philippians: "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your request be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus". Elsewhere, Paul claims: "I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me". Well, is Paul more than you or I? Give me the old time religion... it was good for Paul and Silas, it is good enough for me. Remember?
*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*

Following is a letter of a Sister in the Lord, which will clearly show you that allowing thoughts of death are dangerous and displeasing unto the Lord Almighty.

After a very long and sustained time of asking the Lord to take me home, the Holy Spirit dealt with me about this. I did not realize it at the time, but what I was doing was inviting the evil one, satan, to have a stronghold in my thinking and therefore, in my whole life. The Lord showed me that I had "given place to the devil"... the scripture tells us to "give NO place to the devil". Without realizing what I was doing, a spirit of death had access to my life, because I had ignorantly given ground to the enemy. I believe that so many in the Body of Christ have done this, because we all become so battle-weary.

But please listen! The Holy Spirit got my attention one day and told me this: "When I told you to present your body a living sacrifice, I meant a "Living Sacrifice"... not a DEAD one. I was convicted that I had grieved the Holy Spirit by constantly begging Him to take me home. The reason the Lord is grieved by this is that He only knows the number of our days. He alone knows when we are to go home to be with Him. He has a work for us to do, and the enemy of our souls wants to "get us out of the way" before we fulfill the purposes of God in our lives. I had a powerful deliverance from the Lord on that occasion.

Since then, I have naturally had more occasions to feel like crying out to the Lord in the same fashion, but one thing keeps me from doing it. I know I will be grieving the heart of the Lord. We are His children, His chosen vessels, His Beloved. He wants us to live.

*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*

Psalm 118:17 "I shall NOT die, but LIVE, and tell of the works of the Lord."(NAS version) Amplified Version says: "I shall not die, but live, and declare the works and recount the illustrious acts of the Lord."

So many times, I have been tempted to do the same thing again, but it becomes a DISCIPLINE. We want to be free from all the problems and be with the Lord, but He has a purpose for us and we must decide to "live" and tell others about the Lord instead of allowing the enemy of our souls to bring death to us. You know how we, as Americans, pledge allegiance to the flag. Well, many years ago the Lord told me that Romans 12:1,2 was the "Christian's Call to Allegiance" (to Him as our Creator and Lord).

Consider these words from Him: "I appeal to you therefore, brethren, and beg of you in view of (all) the mercies of God, to make a decisive dedication of your bodies - presenting all your members and faculties - as A LIVING SACRIFICE, holy (devoted, consecrated) and well pleasing to God, which is your reasonable (rational, intelligent) service and spiritual worship.


Do not be conformed to this world - this age, fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs. But be transformed (changed) by the (entire) renewal of your mind - by its new ideals and its new attitude - so that you may prove (for yourselves) what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect (in His sight for you). Please, read Romans 12:2.

First, we must recognize that we have given place to the devil.

Secondly, we must ask the Lord to forgive us.

Thirdly, we must renounce the devil - and take back the ground we gave to him.

And at last, we must make a DECISIVE dedication of our bodies (all of our faculties - our thinking processes especially - and our emotions) ---- everything ...... we must dedicate to the Lord.

This is a spiritual discipline. None of us have "arrived" and learned all of this... we're each on the same road... some of us have been down the road a little longer... but there are no (what I call) "Super Saints" in God's kingdom. We are all in warfare... but I found over the years that if I "laid down and played dead" - that the enemy would "clobber" me!


So, we must "submit ourselves to God & resist the devil, and he will flee from us." James 4:7

Amplified Bible says to "be subject to God. - Stand firm against the devil; resist him and he will flee from you". We must as 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 speaks of: "casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God and bringing into captivity EVERY THOUGHT to the obedience of God".

These passages are especially powerful in the Amplified Bible. I pray this helps and I'm praying for you as well.

John 10:10 "The thief comes only in order that he may steal and may kill and may destroy. I (Jesus) came that they may have and enjoy LIFE, and have it in abundance - to the full, till it overflows."
Allow yourself to live!

The above is our Sister's godly advice to you. Please, heed to it.

Psalm 18:2...The Lord is my Rock, my Fortress, and my Deliverer; my God is my Rock in whom I take refuge. He is my Shield and the Horn of my Salvation, my Stronghold!

Be encouraged, lean on His word, His "Love Letter" to you. I know you're going to feel so much better and uplifted. Never forget, JESUS LOVES YOU and so do I, that is why this article.

Proverbs 3:5-6...Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He SHALL direct your paths.

Proverbs 4:4... Let your heart hold fast my words; keep my commandments and LIVE.
It does not say "DIE" !


Isaiah 41: 13... For I, the Lord your God, will hold your right hand, Saying to you,
"Fear not, I will help you".

Isaiah 40:31... But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.

The best medicine I am recommending for Christians who are struggling with suicidal thoughts is:
  • Be obedient unto the Lord and His Word, in word and deed.
  • Find the scriptures which tell you: "Who you are in Christ, What He has promised
  • How you should walk in the Spirit"....write it down...personalize it...meditate on it.
  • Profess it with your mouth.
  • Be filled with the Holy Spirit.
  • Find a trustworthy Christian, who will battle with you.
In difficult times in your life, meditate upon God's word, draw strength from Him and allow the Lord to make something beautiful out of your mess, your troubles, your sorrow. Give Him the reins, you can't change things anyway! Don't cling onto your troubles, LET GO! Fight the good fight of Faith. Never give up, He will see you through!

My soul shall be satisfied in Him and my lips shall utter praises unto My Redeemer.



CALL ON HIM IN TIME OF DESPAIR

If life has offered you pain and regret,
it's worth living if Jesus you've met.
Even if life's trail is cluttered with broken pieces,
it's still worth living, if you have seen Jesus.

People don't seem to know who they are
until they're hitting a wall and declare war .
They don't realize that they're just browsers
needing Jesus to hold up their trousers.

It's hard for some to admit they're born to lose,
in need of the Savior to make their path smooth.
Some even may think they can outdo God,
with their big mouth and cunning thought.

Listen, your days are numbered, your years are but few,
you're wasting your time brewing this stew.
With all your troubles allow wisdom to enter in,
surrender your life to the One who cleanses from sin.

Then all your misery will disappear
and for your enemies you will not fear.
Then you will have a new song to sing

AMAZING GRACE, you're walking with the KING.

  * * * * *  




Copyright © Dr. Trudy Veerman, 1996-2014. All rights reserved


No comments: